Sunday, February 1, 2009

Most Incredible Weekend Pt. 2

What it do?

I'm sure you are wondering where is pt. 1, but that's Inauguration Weekend and those pictures have yet to be edited and uploaded. Check back in a few days.

Anywho...

I have a bit of a story to tell you. Without giving away certain intricate details about myself. So, I managed to scrounge up two tickets Kaplan's 2009 Winter Commencement.




I am very intrigued about online education especially when there is a commencement involved. Most importantly, commencements with celebrity key notes speakers who have some-kind-of sense. Kaplan was graced with the honor of having John Legend as the speaker. Now before you say..."John Legend? Is'nt he a singer?" Yes, he is. But, he has his B.A. Degree in English from the Univesity of Pennsylvania ...Summa Cum Laude!

thank you very much...

So yes, this qualifies him to join the ranks of celebrity key note speakers.



What did he talk about you ask? Fufilling your dreams. Yes, you to can earn a degree when the odds are stacked up against you. You can do whatever you set your mind to, even if it means leaving a very succesful job at a top notch consulting firm in Boston to become a grammy wining musician. That was the "wow" moment. And the fact that, he's been through rigors of a university education. He went to talk about his life and his foundation and what we can do to make our dreams and other's dreams come true. John, I must say, if yo uare indeed reading (which I know you are not), you did a great job being that this was your first time giving a key note address.

Now with that being said, some collegues of mine arranged a VIP ticket for me to meet (or shall I say, beg nicely for a picture and an autograph without getting pushed away by security) Mr. Legend. Now, this is year has been many firsts for me: A presidential innauguration, standing in near freezing weather with strangers, participating is a step show (ever seen Stop The Yard?), etc. But, I never thought I would be in a VIP section. Any you know what, it was all I thought it would be.



Elegant ambiance (very important), flickering candles, high end seafood repleate with mimosa's, fresh juice, cappuchino machine, desert shots and designer water (you know the kind that costs 5 bucks a pop at your local health food store). Now, I wanted to calm hungry down but as soon as I could say is that jumbo shrimp, in walked Mr Legend himself...dressed in a white blazer.

Coincidentally..I was dressed in white blazer too.........




See folks, dreams do come true, especially when they are about 5'8, well learned and multi-talented.

I will honestly say, this was a good weekend. My first online university commencement, first time being in VIP annnnd wearing the same outfit as a celebrity...ON THE SAME DAY! (I did meet Mr. Legend a few years back but this is my first picture with him...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!